In my last post I showed some moss I’d created by needle punching. I thought it would be good to show what it’s for.
Last summer I found this old glass bottle neck in the garden.
Never liking to throw things away I had the idea almost straight away of creating a stitched garden with flowers coming out of the neck.
With that in mind I’ve been collecting ideas and gradually making different elements to assemble into a whole.
So far I’ve made bark, leaves, mushrooms, moss, lichen and some flowers.
Most recently I’ve been making yellow Oxalis or creeping Wood Sorrel. I made the leaves first using a shot silk. It’s bonded onto a sheer to stop it fraying. Initially, I thought I’d be able to embroider leaves using stump work techniques, but on this scale it’s a nightmare. I’ve also tried free machining on soluble, but that ended up too textured. I’ve got a bundle of leaves, which will probably end up underneath other stuff.
Here are my Oxalis flowers. They were decidedly fiddly to make, but I’m very pleased with how they turned out.
I was also planning to make some Herb Robert, but the leaves are much worse than the Oxalis, as this photo shows. So they may be abandoned.
It looks like it’s almost time to start putting everything together.