I got the urge to make a few bags with a view to using up some of my fabric stash, so I’ve made a couple of tote bags. I used a tutorial fom handmadiya, found on Pinterest. Sorry I couldn’t work out how to add a link. I particularly like this one I made with a vintage sheet. Everyone talks about them as though they are ten a penny, but this is the only one I’ve ever found. The base and lining use an upholstery fabric given to me about 10 years ago by a neighbour. She gave me some gorgeous silks as well which I have yet to find the best use for.
Here you can see the vintage sheet in all its floral loveliness.
There are two internal pockets and a magnetic snap fastener.
Here is the other bag I made using remnants of curtain fabric. The base is made with a William Morris design called Compton – one of my favourites and possibly named after the village where the artist Watts lived and worked. I had a door curtain made of this in my first house.
Here is the back.
And here is the inside.
I hope to make more bags, but it is surprising how much fabric these tote bags use up, so I may do some piecing for the next ones.