We had a Hawaiian day at work and I used it as an excuse to make loads of paper flowers.
Pinterest was a great source of inspiration and they were a great success.
I haven’t been doing much lately as we had all our downstairs wooden floors replaced, which meant clearing out absolutely everything from those rooms, including all my craft stuff. It’s been worth it as they are beautiful and make everything much lighter. Here are a few before and after shots.
As you can see it was quite dark. That sitting room carpet sucked the light. The room is north facing anyway. It also used to show every dog hair!
We had new skirting boards throughout, which is lovely as they were pretty chipped.
So this is how it looked when work was underway. We couldn’t have done this when we still had our lovely dog.
We included insulation under the floor, so it should be toasty warm next winter. The flooring is engineered oak.
So what has this got to do with rust dyeing you ask. Well, while the floor was up I was collecting lots of nails.
Today I finally got down to a little rust dyeing. These are inspired by something I’m working on for our exhibition next year.
These were all just experiments to see how easy it was to create an image rather than just random patterns. I’m not sure what to do next, so any suggestions will be gratefully received. Meanwhile, I’ve been pursuing other ideas, which I’ll save for another post.
I have a new little sketchbook from that highly tempting shop Tiger, which I use for a bit of doodling of an evening when watching TV. I heard some research recently where they found people remember things better if they doodle, so now we can justify doodling in meetings, talking on the phone or in class.
I decided to keep mostly to black and white, concentrating on pattern.
This is the page I’m playing with at the moment. I’ve given the pages captions according to the end result, but each page simply evolved as I messed around, which is the joy of doodling.
Has anyone else discovered the fun of messing around like this?
These embroideries are all made using my natural dyed fabrics and threads, so it seemed appropriate to use images from the natural world. My inspiration comes from sketches I’ve done.
The background is silk chiffon and scrim embellished onto blanket. The grass is stitched with wools and silk then needle felted slightly.For those of you who follow my blog you may remember I was working on some pieces based on the seashore. I’ll hopefully come back to them along with other work. I’ve still got a whole bag full of dyed fabrics to use!
I’ve been planning a new bag for ages and finally got round to making it last week when trying to keep my mind off losing the darling dog. It’s made with some absolutely gorgeous Irish tweed bought a couple of years ago at the Knitting and Stitching Show, which I’ve been saving. You know how it is with some fabrics you just keep it and take it out and admire it occasionally!
Here is the inside showing the pockets, which are the right size for my phone and (sad to say ) my glasses. There is a zip pocket on the other side. The lining is an old Laura Ashley fabric I bought about 15 years ago for a quilt.
The handles and magnetic snap were recycled from an old bag.
And just to finish spring is almost here!
I’ve been making some more felt books to sell at Ramster, which is coming up this month, so I thought I’d share them.
They are made of scraps of felt and fabric dry felted together using my embellisher attachment on my Bernina. I couldn’t resist adding some beads as well. Hope you like them.
I found this absolutely gorgeous haberdasher’s cabinet last week in a local charity shop.I wasn’t sure if we had space, but we managed to squeeze it in next to the sideboard in the dining room /workroom.
I had a happy afternoon collecting most of my fabric together and colour co-ordinating it.The glass fronts lift up and slide in to reveal the contents. From the side you can see it is put together in sections. I put this picture in to show the lovely glass 1950s lamp. It’s Danish by Kastrup, and is rather more turquoise in real life.
Hopefully seeing all my fabric will help me find what I want more easily.
I’ve just started working on some pieces for Ramster, so thought I’d share a few pictures. Follow this link if you are interested. http://www.ramsterevents.com
This one is of the fabrics I’m starting with, some bits I’ve collected and a stitch sample.
The background is blanket and the samples are, working from the left, a pebble with shisha stitch, straight stitches over a pebble, silk chiffon needle felted, chenille spider’s web (not easy to do), chenille needle felted with some fleece to hold it down ( that chenille has a nice texture, but is not easy to use!), silk needle felted (love that), wool and silk spider’s webs, fleece felted from the front and from the back, prefelt with chenille over it, French knots, eyelet, cup stitch, scrim with fleece on back, whipped running stitch and ordinary running stitch.
These two pages from an old sketchbook have been part of my designing. They are from the beach at Tynemouth in Northumberland, a favourite place.
Now I better stop prevarication and acully get on.
A Journal of Observations
The Art and Craft of Blogging
The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.